Quick facts about gold mining, the U.S. jewelry market, and the Golden Rules
Published: February 14, 2013
From the fact sheet
- Ninety jewelers have taken the important step of signing on to the No Dirty Gold campaign’s “Golden Rules” for more responsible sourcing of precious metals.
- The Golden Rules jewelers represent $14.4 billion in US jewelry sales (2011), or 21 percent of the US jewelry market, and include 8 of the top 10 retail jewelers in the US.
- US jewelry sales in 2011 totaled $68.3 billion.
- Globally, jewelry demand accounts for the equivalent of about 70 percent of mine
- Nearly half of all people surveyed by the Jewelry Consumer Opinion Council call jewelry their favorite Valentine’s Day gift. 28 percent of shoppers gave a gift of jewelry the previous Valentine’s Day.